Software developers are in demand. Almost everything today is software-driven and software developers are needed to design and guide the programs used.
If you have an interest in becoming a software developer or are starting, this article is for you.
What does a Software Developer do?
A software developer is tasked with analyzing a user’s needs, designing, testing, and developing software to meet the user needs. The software developer also upgrades existing software.
Software developers develop applications that allow users to do specific tasks. These applications include smartphone apps, computer games, and computer programs e.t.c.
How to Become a Software Developer?
Some people may be put off by the idea of becoming software developers because they don’t have a related degree. You’ll be surprised to know that you do not need any formal accreditation to become a developer.
But don’t get it wrong. Papers are important especially if you hope to work for well-recognized organizations. Moreover, graduate candidates have an easier time when looking for jobs.
If you are wondering how you will become a software developer without a degree, then read on.
But, before looking at the steps to becoming a software developer it is important to mention some skills that will make this path easy for you. Here are some required skills to become a successful software developer:
- You need to have a passion for programming
- You should be a problem solver
- Have technical skills – know how to use a computer.
- Be good with numbers/maths – don’t be worried you don’t have to be a mathematician just basic knowledge in basic algebra although more complex functions may need advanced math.
- You are okay working with people or rather be a team player
- Patience (because bugs can drive you crazy)
If you have put a tick to all the above then you have qualified for the next steps to becoming a software developer:
- Do your research to know the kind of software developer you want to be, whether a frontend, backend, or full-stack developer.
- Decide how you want to study. You can choose to either go to a college or be self-taught.
- Always be on the lookout for new trends. Software is updated faster than textbooks. Technology keeps changing you don’t want to gain experience in something that is already extinct.
Keep in mind programming is not all about writing code. You should understand frameworks, version control systems such as GitHub, etc.
- Learn programming. Even with a degree or other related course software development is about getting hands-on skills.
- Join forums like Reddit, stack overflow, meetups, or even social media groups that relate to your software interests. Google for practice sites for coding.
- Join groups for networking opportunities. You can get these groups on social media platforms.
- Build software. You can do all the above but if you don’t build your software you will not be putting your skills to use.
- Seek internship. Look for agencies or companies that offer software development services and apply as an intern.
Become a Software Developer with theablestate.com
Do all the steps sound confusing? Don’t despair yet because here at theablestate.com we can guide you to reach your goals much quicker. We offer various courses in our boot camps where we educate, mentor, and build professional digital nomads, ready for any workplace.
- Digital Citizen – in three months learn employable ICT skills for the 21st century.
- Solver – In five months you learn basic programming languages that help you develop your problem-solving skills.
- Implementor – If you want to take it to the next level and become a guru to develop real-life and business solutions. This will take you five months.
Deciding to become a software developer gives you the liberty to work from anywhere either as a freelancer or full-time job. And the best thing is that you can work for international organizations as a remote developer giving you more exposure.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need determination and set goals because each person’s journey is different.